By Dark Politricks
I really hope the Occupy Wall Street protests and all the other Occupy X protests that are spreading around the USA and elsewhere really achieve something worthwhile and don’t end up getting taken over from within by Democrats like the original Tea Party protests did by the Republicans.
There is already talk that the #OccupyWallSt protests are being co-opted by the Democrats and Left Leaning groups like MoveOn.org and other pro-Obama groups.
It would be a shame to see any form of established political group claim ownership of what is, and what should be, a grass roots movement that everyone can follow who feels betrayed by the bailouts, the huge sovereign debt crisis and the austerity measures that are being implemented because of them.
We the 99% of the people who own the a few % of the wealth have a right to feel angry that the banksters on Wall St, the City of London, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Tokyo and all the other financial centres of the globe have basically gotten away with mass robbery and that we are being forced to pay for it.
You might be an ardent Libertarian or a Communist for all I care but it doesn’t matter as the current form of “Crony Capitalism” is not working and economist after economist can attest to the fact that our current system has failed us miserably.
A true capitalist system doesn’t currently exist so claims that capitalism is the root cause of our problems are missing the point.
Capitalism might not be perfect and there are various forms that combine free enterprise and a social safety net.
However at the moment the safety net is being taken away from the public and given to the banks and financial firms that are supposed to be free enterprises that either fail or succeed in a true capitalist society.
A true capitalist system means competition between banks, not huge too big too fail institutions that are bailed out by the tax payer when they gamble our pensions and savings away.
A true capitalist system would have meant that the banks would not have been more interested in making money out of thin air, over leveraging their assets and front running legitimate trades on the stock market.
Instead they would be investing their money in small businesses for long term gains and not instant profits that are made by the millisecond through massive manipulation of the stock market.
A true capitalist system would have seen at least a few of the big whigs in town currently facing charges of fraud, theft and embezzlement.
The sad fact that the only person to go to jail is a supposed “bad apple” AKA Bernie Madoff is a joke and if there is one aim that everyone should be able to get behind with the Occupy Wall Street protests it should be to see those people who literally stole billions from the 99% of us face some form of punishment.
These people are not “job creators” they are “wealth absorbers” and instead of helping the economy get re-booted by investing in new companies and helping people stay in their homes and keep their jobs they are taking our tax money and saying “thank you very much – have a bonus or two”.
If we wanted more proof that this protest can be supported by all sides of the political spectrum we only need to see that Ron Paul, an ardent libertarian and Dennis Kucinich one of the most liberal politicians in the house both support ending the FED and returning the production of the money supply to the government where it should belong.
There are many aims that people would like to see come to fruition from the current protests and I really hope the people behind these protests stay free from infiltrators, agent provocateurs and pressure from existing political forces as they are all currently trying to get their claws into the movement and change it for their own benefit.
The original Tea Party was against the bail outs, the banksters and the FED but before long they were taken over by religious, pro-war, pro Republican types who corrupted their original message.
I really hope that those original supporters of the Tea Party protests can see similarities with the Occupy Wall St crowd as there doesn’t have to be a political divide between them.
Surely we can all agree on the following:
1. End the Federal Reserve, Bank of England, and any other Central Bank run by the Banks and return the creation of the money supply to the government so that it can be used for the benefit of the people not the banksters.
2. Put the bankers, financiers and other CEO’s of companies who caused the financial meltdown and then held a gun to the head of congress demanding tax payers money to bail them out on trial. We know Goldman Sachs helped Greece cook the books so they could get into the Euro and look where Greece is now. That it just the tip of the iceberg. Investigate and punish these people.
3. End the war of terror and return the troops home. Stop pretending we can police the world and realise that we are less safe ten years on from 9.11 than we could be. The wars only help make the same people behind the banks richer and rather than do the fighting themselves they send your sons, daughters, fathers and mothers out halfway across the world to be blown to bits instead. Just by rolling back our huge military industrial department of attack will save enough money to prevent most austerity measures on the cards.
4. End lobbying of all kinds. Every politician is bought and paid for by a number of groups all with an agenda whether it be the banks, AIPAC, big business, unions, oil or armament companies. As WashingtonsBlog said the other day, all politicians should wear Car Racing jackets covered in adverts of all the companies that own a part of them. This would make it easy to see who they are really working for when they support or block a bill.
5. Put term limits on all politicians to prevent them getting too comfortable and having to worry more about the next election than the interests of the people. A good politician could always run again 4 years later after a break but preventing cushy jobs for life would be a good way to prevent politicians from becoming objects for sale and would concentrate their mind on their real job of representing the people and not the people who paid for their election campaign.
I am sure there are lots of other items we could all agree on but lets start small and build our way up. Remember protest is a right and it should be cherished and applauded.
When numpties like Herman Cain say the Occupy Wall Street protests are Un-American they are talking out their arse. If you don’t believe me read your history and especially if you call yourself a Republican remember what your founding fathers like Thomas Jefferson said about government, protest and the danger of central banks.
Quotes by Thomas Jefferson
“I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.”
“History, in general, only informs us of what bad government is.”
“The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.”
“Educate and inform the whole mass of the people… They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.”