By Dark Politricks
There is currently an online campaign to stop Rupert Murdoch’s take over of BSkyB.
If you don’t know who Rupert Murdoch is then you should as he is one of, if not the biggest, publisher and media mogul in the world, owning a huge media company that has a stranglehold over the TV and Print media from the UK to the USA to Australia and back again.
If you are a follower of UK politics you will know that the Lib Dem Business secretary Vince Cable was stripped of his role overseeing media competition issues including whether Murdoch could finally accomplish his dream of dominating UK media when he was exposed in an undercover sting by Telegraph reporters saying that he had “declared war” on Rupert Murdoch.
He was replaced by Murdoch loving Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt who is on record as saying the following about the Murdoch empire:
“What we should recognise is that he has probably done more to create variety and choice in British TV than any other single person. We would be the poorer and wouldn’t be saying that British TV is the envy of the world if it hadn’t been for him being prepared to take that commercial risk.”
Not exactly encouraging words for those of us who wish to see Murdoch slapped back down to a position in which politicians of both main parties don’t crawl slavishly to his every demand and pray come election time that the Murdoch rags choose their party to support.
Over the years Murdoch’s papers the Sun, The News of the World, The Times and The Sunday Times have supported both the Tories and Labour switching sides at the last minute so as to always be the winners “friend”.
Who can forget the famous “IT’S THE SUN WOT WON IT” front page after the 1992 election in which poll after poll had predicted a Labour victory but in the end saw an unexpected victory for John Major’s Tories.
Rupert Murdoch’s empire is currently under investigation by the police for the infamous phone hacking scandal that has seen celebrities, politicians and royals fall prey to the underhand tactics of the News of the World reporters.
However yesterday we find out that not even missing or dead school girls were above having their phones hacked into if the stolen information gleaned from their voicemails could help sell a few more papers.
There has been a huge amount of outrage over Milly Dowler,who was murdered in 2002, and who’s killer Levi Bellfield has just been found guilty of her death when it was found out that her phone had been involved in the News of the World scandal.
A solicitor for Milly’s family, who were already furious over their treatment in court, revealed to the public that he believed that during the time of her disappearance when her fate was still unknown her phone was being hacked into by Murdoch linked investigators and reporters.
Mark Lewis said police told her parents that Glenn Mulcaire hacked into her voicemail while she was missing and deleted messages which gave relatives of Milly false hope that she was still alive.
In a statement he said:
“It is distress heaped upon tragedy to learn the News of the World have no humanity at such a terrible time.”
“The fact that they were prepared to act in such a heinous way that could have jeopardised the police investigation and gave them false hope is despicable.”
He also claimed that the Dowlers had been told their own phones were targeted by News of the World reporters and the Guardian who has led the investigation into the phone hacking scandal has claimed that after Milly’s voicemail facility became full, the News of the World deleted messages it had already listened to so that it could be filled up with new voicemail messages.
The Guardian quotes one source as saying that this gave false hope to friends and family, who mistakenly believed that Milly herself had cleared her message inbox and that therefore she was still alive.
However by that time she had already been murdered and her body dumped in woods near Minley, Hampshire by Levi Bellfield.
So at the same time that the Murdoch empire is embroiled in such scandal they are preparing to take an even bigger slice of what is left of our free media by taking over the rest of BSkyB.
As the on-line petition I have just signed says – If we work together, we can make sure this week doesn’t end with Murdoch getting awarded even more power. Let’s stand together for higher media standards and for Murdoch’s latest power grab to be halted.
You can sign the petition here: http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/murdoch-deal-petition#petition
And you can read my own comment to the site below.
“Please don’t let a megalomaniac who already owns far too much of our very narrow visioned and biased media from gaining even more of a strangehold over what is left of a free and “responsible” press.”
“The recent phone hacking scandal and claims that the News of the World reporters colluded with Policemen as well as hacked into the phones of the then missing and later to be found dead Milly Dowler is appalling.”
“We should not let someone who has so little control over his reporters yet such great control over our politicians gain even more power. Please prevent this takeover.”
Please help prevent Murdoch gaining even more power by signing the petition.